- Full Time
Job Title: Media Specialist
Employment Class: Seasonal Part-time
Pay Status/Range: Exempt, $105-117 per day
Schedule: 5 to 6 days per week
Dates of Employment: May 19, 2021 - August 27, 2021
Reports To: Content Coordinator
Housing Available: Yes
Number of Positions Available: 1
At Keystone Science School, we believe that the power of inspiring curiosity and critical thinking, through the lens of science, changes lives and strengthens communities. We create future leaders who can problem solve and work together in an ever-evolving world and workplace environment.
Located in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, Keystone Science School’s historic campus serves as base camp for our diverse suite of inquiry-based learning programs. We combine hands-on science education with outdoor adventure to create engaging experiences for our students. At KSS, we change lives, we bring fun and laughter to everything we do, we care about each other and those we serve, we strive for excellence, we offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, and we are committed to serving students from diverse backgrounds. We’re proud to be Summit County’s #1 Best Non-Profit and #2 Best Place to Work (2019)! Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!
Program Overview and Job Summary
KSS offers day programming for local and visiting children based out of various sites around Summit County. Day Camp programs are age-specific, full-day programs offering educational and recreational activities based upon weekly science or adventure themes. Each week, campers will participate in hands-on activities, local hikes, arts and crafts, games, leadership, literacy, community building and much more!
KSS also offers overnight programs on the Keystone Science School campus and at satellite camping locations around Summit County and local expedition-style backpacking programs. Overnight programs are age-specific, full-week programs offering education, adventure and recreational activities based upon weekly science and adventure themes. Each week campers will participate in hands-on science activities, hikes, arts and crafts, games, leadership, community building, and much more!
The Media Specialist works with all summer programs, including day camps, overnight camps, and expedition programs. In collaboration with the Content Coordinator, the Media Specialist is responsible for the collection and management of photos and video clips from all Instructors on a daily and weekly basis. Specialists will be expected to adhere to dynamic health guidance and policy set forth by KSS while working with children during a global pandemic, which may include living with other Instructors in a communal living environment. The Media Specialist will also sometimes act as a substitute for all KSS summer program areas, including Day Camp, Discovery Camp and Discovery Adventures.
Main areas of focus:
- 90% Media-related tasks;
- 10% Camp Support/Substitute.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Take and produce pictures, videos, and audio for use by KSS (social media, marketing collateral, etc.);
- Create a next summer promotional video by the end of the current summer;
- Ensure all media content is collected and organized throughout the summer;
- Lead a training session for staff on photo/video protocols and procedures;
- Attend and help facilitate all staff meetings and trainings as assigned;
- Mentor, motivate, and inspire Instructors;
- Supervise and maintain high standards of health and safety, and follow Risk Management policies in all activities;
- Substitute as an instructor for camp programs if needed;
- Actively interact with and engage children during KSS programs;
- Live with other Instructors;
- Candidates age 21+ with a minimum of 5 years driving experience will be required to participate in and pass Van Driver Training, and they will be required to drive a 15-passenger van;
- Abide by and uphold the policies and procedures set forth by KSS;
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – Minimum Requirements
- Experience with a variety of video, photo, and audio editing software;
- Have an interest in, respect for, and ability to work with children;
- Have an interest in, respect for, and ability to work with people with diverse backgrounds, opinions, beliefs, abilities, and experience;
- Strong work ethic and will work until the job is complete;
- Motivation to contribute positively to the KSS at-large community;
- Interpret a variety of instructions provided in written or verbal form;
- Multi-task efficiently while managing a high-volume workload in a fast-paced, changing environment;
- Superior customer service skills;
- Demonstrate the ability to be creative and think 'outside the box';
- Strong command of communication, writing, and organizational skills;
- Ability to work in a busy environment with many distractions;
Required Education, Experience, and Certifications
- A minimum of 1 season of media production experience;
- Proficiency with Google Suite;
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (Lightroom, Photoshop, and Premier)
- Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR certifications, from an approved vendor, or the ability to obtain before the first day of employment;
- Prior experience working with school-age children: at least three (3) months (460 hours) of full-time or equivalent part-time satisfactory and verifiable experience with school-age children;
- Excellent driving record and a valid driver's license;
- Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background check.
- Ability to communicate verbally and teach in Spanish.
In many situations, KSS will provide transportation to satellite programming locations. However, staff may be asked to use personal vehicles to travel within Summit County. Any travel mileage outside Summit County may be reimbursed.
Physical Demands of this Position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or hold objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee often stands for up to 16 hours per day, but may be required to stand longer in emergency situations. The employee must be able to lift and carry at least 40 pounds for an extended duration. The employee is frequently required to travel for extended periods over rugged terrain. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the employee to work in close contact with their teammates and children. Staff will be expected to adhere to dynamic health guidance and policy set forth by KSS while working with children during a global pandemic. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but varies seasonally due to programs and staffing on campus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee often works outside and drives vehicles in various weather conditions.
Housing and food are provided at no additional cost. A housing deposit may be collected.
Ready to find yourself at the heart of Science. Adventure. Fun? Apply now!
Equal Employment Opportunity
Keystone Science School is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, religion, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.