Our Favorite Summer Gear for Exploring Summit County
Summer in Keystone, Colorado brings long days filled with sunshine and an endless list of backcountry trails ready to explore. Before you set off on your next summer adventure, take a look at this list from the KSS staff of our favorite summer gear and apparel for getting into the mountains or just spending time in the sun at 9,000ft.
- Sun Hoodie - A sun hoodie with a high UPF helps protect me from the sun for long days on the river or high in the alpine. The lightweight fabric keeps me cool, dry, and protected!
- Patagonia Houdini Jacket - A great breathable layer for during windy or cool days. I wear it mountain biking and hiking almost every day.
- REI Day Pack - The mesh hardback keeps the structure upright and together and keeps sweat away from the pack. It has a built-in rainfly to keep my camera gear dry in those surprise rainstorms!
- Garmin inReach Mini - Always having the ability to communicate in case of an emergency gives me and my loved ones peace of mind. It’s super small and easy to use, so I take this thing everywhere I go now.
- Sawyer Mini Water Filter - I love the lightweight bags because you can fill them up and then go lay in the soft grass to filter the water instead of being all hunched over the streambed with a pump. I also prefer these over tablets when the water is more questionable.
- Chacos – Hands down the best sandals on the planet. I’m in my chacos all day every day. Having a sandal that straps down to my foot lets me adventure or relax all in one.
- Locking Travel Mug – I love coffee any month of the year and I love my travel mug that locks so that I can easily throw a hot cup of coffee in my backpack. There’s really nothing better than a hot coffee on top of a mountain.
- Hammock - I love being able to carry around a light-weight hammock for relaxation. Sitting in the hammock on a warm summer day, reading a book, or taking a nap is one of the best ways to pass the time.
- Canon 80D Camera - It gives me a mission when getting out into the backcountry, and lets me stop and appreciate the subtle details of the outdoors.
- Mountain Bike - I have a new Trek Fuel Ex - my first carbon bike. I will spend most of my free time (when I’m not with my new baby) taking it for a ride!
- My Bike – It’s the best mode of transportation in the summer. I personally love running routine errands on my bike because I can get the best parking spot and exercise at the same time.